Friday, December 16, 2016

My Disney Christmas Gadgets, Gizmos, Whose-Its, Whats-Its, and Thing-a-ma-Bobs

Christmas is my all-time favorite holiday. It is also one of the times of years when I get most nostalgic for the past. I often find myself listening to the albums of Christmas music that my mom constantly had playing around our house or in the car during the Christmases of the 1990s, such as the Time-Life Treasury of Christmas, the "Charlie Brown Christmas" album performed by the Vince Guaraldi Trio, or any Christmas album ever recorded by Amy Grant. The nostalgia of the season also allows me to display my Christmas trinkets that I've acquired over the years.

I use this excuse to pull out any Disney collectible that I own that has any inkling of Christmas connection to justify to my family my reasoning for putting some pieces of my Disney collection on display.

A few years back, my wife purchased for me wirelessly connected and synchronized figures from Hallmark of Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Sitting atop silver wrapped gifts, they are dressed in Christmas garb. Mickey holds a saxophone in his hands, while Minnie sits behind a keyboard. When you push the button on one, it will begin to play a Christmas song with the instrument. However, when there are more than one figure in the vicinity, the other figures will begin to play the same song with their instrument. When released, the set included five different figures, including the two I own. The other three were Goofy playing an upright bass, Donald playing a guitar, and Daisy playing the flute.


My wife has also started purchasing the Mickey Hallmark ornament series that began in 2013, so as of now, I have the first three Mickey ornaments of the series. In 2013, the ornament was Mickey from "Brave Little Tailor." In 2014, Mickey was dressed as a fireman from "Mickey's Fire Brigade." Last year, in 2015, Mickey dressed in his role from the "Sorcerer's Apprentice." These Disney ornaments join various other ornaments that are Disney themed, such as the Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head visit Disney World ornament my wife and I got on our first trip to Disney as a couple back in 2012, on my "Disney Christmas Tree" in our home's front room.




 The last Disney Christmas item that I have out this year is a new item for me. While shopping at Target for my kids a few weeks ago, I noticed that there was a sale on plush Tsum-Tsums (which are based on a game, Disney Tsum-Tsum, similar to Tetris or Candy Crush, where players have to stack and make combinations of rectangular versions of Disney characters). I picked a couple up as stocking stuffers for the boys, when I noticed they also had Christmas Tsum-Tsums as well. I would have purchased a whole set of Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Minnie, but had already spent enough money on the boys, so I simply picked up my favorite of the four, Goofy all decked out in his holiday garb, wearing an ugly Christmas sweater and a Christmas tree atop his head.

What are your favorite Disney Christmas decorations? Share in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment